Adult Transition Centers
Safer Foundation is the only private agency to administer two secured residential transition centers on behalf of the Illinois Department of Corrections.
These two programs allow incarcerated individuals to serve out the last 30 days to 24 months of their sentences in a community-based work-release setting.
The purpose of these centers is to give selected participants the opportunity to transition to community and employment prior to release in order to improve the likelihood that upon release, they will become productive, law-abiding members of the community. Both centers are located in the North Lawndale community of Chicago.
The Crossroads center has a rated capacity of 350 beds and the North Lawndale center has a capacity of 200. These centers combine to serve approximately 1,300 clients per year.
- Case Management/ Assessments
- Employment Services/Job Readiness/Retention
- Cognitive-Based Programming
- Basic Skills, GED
- Substance Abuse Treatment
- Mental Health Counseling/ Evaluations
- Community Service
- Life Skills
- Family Support
- Parenting Skills
- Off-Site Educational Programs
Safer has identified elements that facilitate clients’ successful transition back into the community and the effective operation of the adult transition centers:
- A secure and structured environment with a focus on public safety
- Well-trained and caring staff
- Motivated clients who learn to accept responsibility for their actions and realistically plan for their future
- A comprehensive range of programs and services tailored to individual needs and profiles
- Active community involvement and partnerships
- Gradual release to community with services
- Follow-up and aftercare
Safer Foundation has more than 20 years of experience in the operation of residential community-based programs. Both centers are accredited by the American Correctional Association.
- Watch and Listen
New IL Law Aims To Help Ex-Convicts Find Work: A new law in Illinois is helping to level the playing field for… MORE >
PBS NewsHour 12/25/2014 - Ban the Box : Many employers require job applicants to disclose… MORE >
Safer Foundation Wins $5M DOL Grant: "Face Forward 2" funds help train justice-involved youth for jobs; opens door to… MORE >
Forget the Bootstraps, Part III: Invisible Punishment: The Denver VOICE's Margo Pierce interviews Safer Foundation… MORE >
You're Invited to the Strengthening Families Program Orientation: Safer clients and their families are invited to join… MORE >
Safer Mourns Loss of a Friend: Longtime Board Member John Faulhaber Passes Away… MORE >
- Reentry Resources
- Public Policy
- Success Stories
- Follow Us