Adult Transition Centers
Safer Foundation is the only private agency to administer two secured residential transition centers on behalf of the Illinois Department of Corrections.
These two programs allow incarcerated individuals to serve out the last 30 days to 24 months of their sentences in a community-based work-release setting.
The purpose of these centers is to give selected participants the opportunity to transition to community and employment prior to release in order to improve the likelihood that upon release, they will become productive, law-abiding members of the community. Both centers are located in the North Lawndale community of Chicago.
The Crossroads center has a rated capacity of 350 beds and the North Lawndale center has a capacity of 200. These centers combine to serve approximately 1,300 clients per year.
Safer Foundation also operates the Chicago South Halfway Back program, which helps clients who have had trouble meeting the mandates of their parole receive supportive services as they transition back into society.
- Case Management/ Assessments
- Employment Services/Job Readiness/Retention
- Cognitive-Based Programming
- Basic Skills, GED
- Substance Abuse Treatment
- Mental Health Counseling/ Evaluations
- Community Service
- Life Skills
- Family Support
- Parenting Skills
- Off-Site Educational Programs
Safer has identified elements that facilitate successful transition of clients and effective operation of the adult transition centers:
- A secure and structured environment with a focus on public safety
- Well-trained and caring staff
- Motivated clients who learn to accept responsibility for their actions and realistically plan for their future
- A comprehensive range of programs and services tailored to individual needs and profiles
- Active community involvement and partnerships
- Gradual release to community with services
- Follow-up and aftercare
Safer Foundation has over 20 years of experience in the operation of residential community-based programs. Both centers are accredited by the American Correctional Association and received 100 percent compliance with all ACA standards.
- Watch and Listen
Diane Williams receives Champion of Change Award from the White House: On Friday, August… MORE >
Do It Together Green Toolbox and the Green Jobs Deconstruction Training and Job… MORE >
Job Announcement: Correctional Residence Counselors – MASS HIRING: There will be a Mass Hiring (Job Fair) for our… MORE >
Save the Date: 12th Annual CARRE Policy Conference: Mark your calendar for Safer Foundation's 12th Annual CARRE Policy… MORE >
You're Invited to the Strengthening Families Program Orientation: Safer clients and their families are invited to join… MORE >
New Program for Those Just Released from Prison: Rockford's WIFR examines local reentry programs, focuses on Safer… MORE >
- Reentry Resources
- Public Policy
- Success Stories
- Follow Us